Purpose Of Additives:
- Babies who are limited in the amount of fluid they can have often require more calories than formula provides.
- Polycose, MCT Oil, cereal formulas are some of the ways we can help your baby get the calories he needs for growth without greatly increasing the volume of his feedings.
- Babies who frequently require these additives are those with heart problems, BPD (Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia), or serious nutritional problems due to prolonged illness in the nursery.
- KEEP ALL MEDICATIONS OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN.
- Polycose is a carbohydrate supplement that is well tolerated by babies.
- 1/2 teaspoon of powder added to 1 ounce of formula makes the feeding 24 calories per ounce (regular formula is 20 calories per ounce).
- Some babies develop diarrhea with Polycose. Notify your baby's doctor if this occurs.
- Do not increase the amount of Polycose added to each ounce of formula without a doctor's order.
- Polycose can be purchased at most supermarkets that carry baby formula. Check with a pharmacist if you have trouble finding it.
- Never give Polycose directly into your baby's mouth without first diluting it as directed by your doctor or on the label.
- KEEP ALL MEDICATIONS OUT OF THE REACH Of CHILDREN.
- MCT Oil is a fat supplement which is easily absorbed into your intestine.
- 1/2 of a cc (0.5 cc) added to 1 ounce of formula makes the formula 24 calories per ounce (regular formula is 20 calories per ounce).
- Some babies develop greasy diarrhea with MCT Oil. Notify your baby's doctor if this occurs.
- Do not increase the amount of MCT Oil added to each ounce of formula without a doctors order.
- Never give MCT Oil Directly into your baby's mouth.
Babies who have growth problem or need extra calorie supplements stay on the supplements for various lengths of time -- until they begin to have a steady weight gain. Nurses Notes:
Approximate Caloric Values of Additives:
Polycose Liquid 1cc = 2 cal
(Ross Labs) 1 Tbs. = 15 cc = 30 cal
Polycose Powder 1 tsp. = 8 cal
MCT Oil 1 cc = 8 cal
(Mead Johnson) 1 Tbs. = 15 cc =115 cal